** UPDATE 20/12/13: COMPETITION NOW CLOSED **
Following somewhat of a drought, we’ve been doing pretty well with competitions here at FatKidOnFire.
And, given our focus has seemingly shifted from a range of categories to a more music-centric approach (not that we’ve forgotten about the streetwear, technology or anything else we’ve not written about for a while, we’re working on that) we figured the music producers/ fans amongst you might be interested in the next comp we’re running. Well, we’re running it as of tonight; this is its launch…
We’re huge fans of esteemed producer Olie Bassweight and his Bassweight Recordings imprint – that much will be clear given the fact Olie was the first producer and DJ to feature in our FatKidOnFire Presents series earlier this year, having previously featured in late 2012.
Olie’s ‘The Ghost In The Machine’ debut LP was released at the end of last year, somewhat two years in the making. The 15 track album featured solo productions, remixes and collaborations from some of Olie’s (and our) favourite producers. Truth, Dubtek, TZR, Perverse and many more all featured in one form or another; making the album one of my standout releases of the year. If you missed it first time round, stream the album clips in the FKOF embed here or purchase the album from Juno Download here.
We’ve teamed up with Olie and Bassweight Recordings to give a few lucky producers the chance to appear on a remix release (digital and CD) and promotional campaign. Which track? It’s below…
The FKOF review:
“Olie Bassweight opens ‘Why Are You Here?’ with a mysterious but positive groove. The production can be characterised a fierce attack of sub-driven wobbles that are matched by harsh sounds dispersed by the percussion. Vocal delays widen the treasonous atmosphere for which Olie Bassweight is known for, keeping the answer to the track’s enquiry hidden deeply inside.”
Entrants must submit their remix entry in 320kbps MP3 format to the ‘Why Are You Here? (FKOF x Bassweight remix comp)’ group on SoundCloud.
The deadline for entries is December 20 2013. The winners will be announced in January 2014 (final date TBC). Chosen winners will be included on the final remix digital/ CD album release (which will also receive a PR campaign to help promote it).
[‘Odyssey’; from The Ghost In The Machine LP]
- All provided ‘Why Are You Here?’ remix samples can be freely used in your remix. You may use as many or as few of the samples as you see fit and you may add as much of your own content as you wish.
- Bassweight Recordings and Olie Bassweight retain full rights to all samples, originals, and remix work. You can play your track and share it around but please do not put it up for sale!
- No monetary prizes will be awarded. No royalty agreements will be made for your entries (unless special arrangements are made for you).
- The judges for the competition are Bassweight Recordings’ Olie Bassweight and FatKidOnFire’s Wil Benton & Olaf De Rooij. Their decision is final!
- Your remix can be any style of music you choose and can be as similar or different to the original as you wish. We will pick the best and most interesting remix, so please use your imagination.
- Post your full length version of the remix to the SoundCloud group. We also recommend that you do publicise your version of your remix, although it will have no bearing on the chosen winner.
- Winning means that your remix will appear on the album with full credit to you. Winning the competition does not entail any form of financial reward for entrants.
- Please do not submit unfinished tracks or ‘works in progress’. These will be automatically disqualified.
- We will not be able to enter into ‘feedback’ conversations about your entries, so please do not request this.
- You may enter more than one remix.
- You may use as many or as few of the samples as you see fit and you may add as much of your own content as you wish.
- The winning track(s) will be professionally mastered at Binary Feedback.
- The winning track(s) must be provided in either WAV or AIFF format prior to mastering.
- The album will be a digital & CD release.
- The competition closes at midnight (GMT) on 20/12/13. The final submission date may change without notice (but we will warn entrants in the unlikely case this happens).
- All entries must be submitted in 320kbps MP3 format via the SoundCloud group. Entries submitted via other means will not be accepted.
- Winners will be notified via SoundCloud or other contact information supplied in their submittal.
- All parts made available to download, and all parts downloaded, remain the property of Bassweight Recordings. All remixes completed, whether submitted in this competition or not, remain the property of Section 8 Recordings. No exploitation, or distribution of remixes shall be permitted without the sole written consent of Bassweight Recordings.
Peace, love and respect.