It’s been a fairly quiet weekend as far as new content from FatKidOnFire goes. Moving house and no internet connection tends to do that; but the engineer’s booked for this Friday (although the first ever FKOF Excursion will be well underway next weekend for wifi to be bothering us) so normal service should resume shortly.
In case you missed the announcement at the end of last week, FKOF now has 1,000 followers on Twitter and 1,000 fans on Facebook. And, if that’s not enough, the FKOF Facebook page hit 500,000 (yes, half a million!!) post views half way through the week. And, if even that’s not enough, we have a brand new MakeItGood x FatKidOnFire feature for you guys.
Benton is arguably one of the best producers around at the darker end of dubstep. He’s been smashing tunes out left, right and centre and has produced some of the biggest tracks the genre’s seen in more than a long time. To say having him feature here on FatKidOnFire is an honour is an understatement!
Who is Benton? I’m a Producer/ DJ from Epsom.
What’s your style – big, dark basslines or as filthy as possible? Depends how I’m feeling to be honest. Now it’s getting colder I guess there’s going be some darkside tunes written over the winter – hibernation steeze!
What software do you use to produce your tracks? Logic 9.
Turntables or CDJs? CDJs… Never got into buying vinyl as much as I wanted to! I did when I was really young; I used to buy a lot of jungle vinyl and I had some broken up belt drives with just a sub.
How long have you producing and DJing? Roughly about 4-5 years? First couple years I didn’t know what I was doing though!
What’s been your best gig and if you could DJ alongside anyone, who would it be? My best gig would have to be OI! at Paradiso in Amsterdam, that place is sick! Uh and I’d like to DJ with Youngsta… Him and I haven’t been on the same line up yet!
Who are your top dubstep producers at the moment; and why?
- Unitz: I’ve heard some of his deeper stuff recently and it’s just pure sickness…
- Arc-88: Badboy 140 -150bpm jungle producer. Check him out.
- Sleeper and District: they kind of come as a pair but their darkside bits are ill!
- Biome: Every tune he sends me is bad!
- J:Kenzo: ‘Ruffhouse‘!
- Organics: ‘Limbo‘ is deep… I’ve heard a few fresh bits from them recently that are different.
- LX One: Love his sound!
- Widowmaker: Never thought I’d say that haha! But trust me, he’s making some big tunes…
- And lastly I’d have to say Benga. He’s always been one of my favourite producers and I’m sure he always will.
What’s the future of dubstep – where do you see the genre going? God knows! As long as every just keeps making beats it will go on forever.
Any forthcoming releases we can look forward to? My album on Wheel & Deal should be out end of the year/ beginning of next year. But my monitors have broken – so I can’t finish anything off?!
Have you got any advice to upcoming DJs/ Producers? Just keep making tunes and showing love to the sound that you love! Big up.
Benton’s mix has been getting a lot of love on the FKOF Soundcloud account – give it a listen and you’ll understand why. It is absolutely huge!
Click to DOWNLOAD
- Widowmaker – Tunnelling Wurm
- Skream – Blipstream
- Benton – Skeptics
- Sleeper – Scanners
- Kryptic Minds – The Fifth
- Thelem – Drones (Benton remix)
- Sleeper – Submerged
- Benton ft. The Kemistry – The Core
- Biome – Quest
- SpMc + LX One – The Hunted
- J:Kenzo – Stomp
- J:Kenzo + Mosaix – Alone in the Darkness
- Sleeper + District – Dungeon Style
- J:Kenzo ft. Rod Azlan – Ruffhouse
If you have any thoughts on what Benton has had to say, or anything else you’ve seen – maybe you’ve got someone to recommend to FKOF or seen something you think we’d like? Get in touch via email, Twitter, Facebook or the FKOF TakesQuestions page.